Orange Lutheran is committed to providing the best environment for students to learn and grow, which includes providing clear and objective boundaries. Additionally, research has shown that the school environment is enhanced when there are clearly articulated boundaries that are objective and enforced.
Orange Lutheran’s Dress Code was developed to be easily identifiable, objective, and research-based. Strong consideration was given to faculty and staff input with the knowledge that students care about their clothing choices. This policy allows for a good balance between providing significant clothing options and having a standard that is clear and consistent.
- Clothing must cover the entire torso from the shoulders to at least 2” beyond the fingertip when the arm is loosely held at the side
- Shirts/tops must have sleeves
- Shirts/tops must extend at least 2” below the waistline
- Pants/bottoms may not have rips/tears/holes
- Yoga pants, leggings, biker shorts, spandex, and similar may not be worn.
- Clothing may not depict, imply, advertise, or advocate illegal, violent, or lewd conduct, weapons, or the use of alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, or any other controlled substance.
- Clothing may not depict or imply pornography, nudity, or sexual acts.
- Clothing may not depict or imply vulgar, discriminatory, or obscene language or images.
- Clothing may not state, imply, or depict any hate speech/imagery.
- See-through or mesh garments must have clothing underneath that meets the covering requirements. Undergarments may not be visible.
- Shoes must be worn at all times and be safe for the school environment (pajamas, bedroom shoes, slippers are prohibited except for pre-approved school activities)
- All headgear/head coverings, including hats, hoodies, and caps, must allow for the student’s face to be easily visible and may not obstruct the view of others.
- Clothing or accessories that endanger student or staff safety may not be worn.
- Exceptions may be made for participation in special school activities approved by the principal or designee.
- Orange Lutheran school administration reserves the right to determine if any article of clothing or accessory does not meet the requirements of the Orange Lutheran Dress Standards.